You're not the only one put to work when hosting Thanksgiving dinner! With a house full of family and friends, the holidays often mean an increase in your energy bill as well.
We’ve pulled together a list of our tried and true ways to conserve, so follow along and avoid any surprises on your next bill!
- Turn your thermostat down before you start cooking. The oven will heat the space!
- If you plan to slow roast your bird, there’s no need to preheat the oven. Just make sure to have a trusty meat thermometer on hand. You want the meal to be memorable for the right reasons…
- Take all of the ingredients you’ll need out of the fridge at the same time. The more you open and close your fridge, the more energy you waste. Feeling super energy-savvy? Attach a smart plug to your fridge if you haven’t already so it can power down automatically when electricity prices spike in your neighborhood.
- Pack that dishwasher to the brim! Did you know that washing dishes by hand uses almost double the amount of water as a modern dishwasher?
- Cook the bird in a bag! This will reduce cooking time, with the added bonus of locking in more juices.
- If your recipes call for boiling water, opt for your electric kettle instead of the stovetop.
- Set the mood. We love flameless candles, and only turning on the lights we need to cook.
Looking to smarten up your home? Check out the array of smart devices we offer at the OhmConnect Store. Happy holiday!