Due to some changes in the Ontario energy market last year, #OhmHours are going to look a bit different. Read below to find out more.
What you can expect
- When the Ontario energy grid is stressed, we’ll send our customers an energy saving event called an #OhmHour.
- Compared to last year, you’ll receive fewer, longer #OhmHours, sometimes even lasting up to 4 hours.
- You’ll be notified at least a few hours before an #OhmHour rolls around. Most of the time, you’ll get notice about a day in advance. These notifications are sent through SMS and email. Make sure you’re set up to receive these notifications on your settings page.
- Like before, try your best to avoid using energy during this time. We’ll reward you for your energy savings. We use your Toronto Hydro meter data to understand how much energy you’re using and reducing.
- Don’t want to be in an #OhmHour? No problem. We will provide a link to opt out in each #OhmHour notification email.
- After you've raked in rewards from those energy savings, cash out your energy savings via PayPal here. Note that you can only cash out once per month.
How to beat your #OhmHour every time
- Make a plan with your family so these longer events don’t take you by surprise, especially since most folks are at home all the time now.
- Don’t run major appliances like your dishwasher or dryer during this time. Or better yet, add a smart plug to those energy hogs, and we’ll power them off and on for you -- no need to lift a finger!
- Learn from the pros. Our energy saving community has lots of tips for rocking your #OhmHours. Learn from the best.
How does OhmConnect work again?
When demand for energy is high, the gird gets stressed and power companies turn on dirty ‘peaker’ plants to supply electricity. By using less energy during these times, you’re helping reduce climate change and keep dirty power off the grid -- all while getting paid for your efforts!
Have more questions? Reach out to our customer experience team!